Metallic Twill is a woven fabric that utilizes metallic yarns to create a shiny applique material. We coat the Metallic Twill with our proprietary adhesives so that it can be cut easier, layered, re/positioned and heat pressed. It can be used for no-sew applications or it can be embroidered onto garments as an applique. Perfect for kiss-cutting 2-color designs. Works with all laser cutters and applications. NOTE: Metallic Twill should be sewn down onto the garment or it may fray over time. Available in 10 colors.
About The Company
TwillUSA was borne from an adhesives company founded by John Mahn Sr in the 1970s called General Fabric Fusing (GFF) located in Cincinnati, Ohio. As the business expanded, it eventually became Specialty Adhesive Film after heat-applied HTV Flock and Sports Film was invented for the athletic apparel market. Along the way, John Mahn Jr. completed his master’s degree in Chemical Engineering and joined the company. The Father & Son duo of inventors continued to innovate, eventually being awarded 26 U.S. Patents. Their invention for a heat-applied Sports Film became the #1 product worldwide for decorating athletic jerseys. Fabric letting has traditionally been sewn onto jerseys, but inventions by TwillUSA in the area of pressure-sensitive and permanent adhesive formulations allowed for decorating those athletic jerseys for the purpose of identifying player names, numbers and teams. This fabric became known as “Tackle Twill” because of its durability and use in full-contact sports, and TwillUSA takes its name from that fabric. Now, more than 40 years later, we manufacture and distribute more than 30 different HTV materials and fabrics in 100+ unique colors.
Metallic Twill FAQ
What Is Metallic Twill?
Metallic Twill is a woven fabric that utilizes metallic yarns to create a shiny applique material. We coat the Metallic Twill with our proprietary adhesives so that it can be cut easier, layered, re/positioned and heat pressed. It can be used for no-sew applications or it can be embroidered onto garments as an applique. Perfect for kiss-cutting 2-color designs. Works with all laser cutters and applications. Sold in 1 yard increments up to 50+ yards.
Is Metallic Twill PVC-Free?
Metallic Twill and our proprietary Hot-Melt Adhesives are 100% free of Polyvinyl Chloride (“PVC”). PVC contains dangerous chemical additives that can be harmful to your child’s health.
Can I Cut Metallic Twill On A Tabletop Plotter?
16.5″ Metallic Twill cuts clean on all desktop cutters including Cricut and Silhouette Cameo. Tabletop plotters aren’t 51″ wide, so the 51″ Metallic Twill will need to be cut down first. However, once properly sized, all forms of cutting work — laser, plotter, flat-bed plotter, die cutting and shearing.
Does The Adhesive Gum Up Sewing Needles?
Our proprietary adhesives feature a needle glide additive designed to sew without gumming. Sharp needles work better than ballpoint needles. HINT: Coating the needle with silicone also helps to promote a clean stitch. All manners of stitching work well, including zig zag, satin, bean, and lockstitch.
What Are The Differences Between Adhesives?
Often referred to as a “stabilizer,” our products feature either a paper- or Mylar-backed sheet of heat-activated adhesive.
- PSA — PSA stands for “Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.” Our PSA features a clear Mylar backing. This peel-and-stick adhesive holds applique in place for sewing. Our U.S. patented formula prevents broken threads and gummed-up needles. Repositionable. Perfect for 2-color applications and Kiss Cutting. Must be sewn to prevent fraying.
- Polyback — The thermal adhesive backing provides stability for cutting and sewing on garments. The polyester-based coating has no PVC and can be cut on plotters, dies, lasers or even hand-cut. Must be sewn to prevent fraying.
- Permanent — Heat seal adhesive designed to be laser-cut and heat-pressed onto garments without sewing. This non-PVC adhesive will not burn from laser cutting while it simultaneously prevents fraying.
- PSA Permanent — The #1 choice for laser cutters. It can be used for no-sew applications or it can be embroidered onto garments as an applique. Perfect for Kiss Cutting 2-color designs. Repositionable. Works with all laser cutters and applications.
- Uncoated — No adhesive backing. Just the fabric.
How Long Does Metallic Twill Last On Garments?
Metallic Twill is washable. We have tested this material up to 50 wash and dry cycles in a home laundry environment without fraying, cracking or peeling. If sewn down onto garments, it should last as long as the garment itself.
Twill USA has 2 warehouses for fast delivery. Local pickup is available 8:30a–4:30p (M–F)